Old Caln Meeting House

Old Caln Meetinghouse 1726 - exterior   Old Caln Meetinghosue - 1726 - interior   Old Caln Meetinghouse 1726 - flowers   Old Caln Meetinghouse 1726 - national register   Old Caln Meetinghouse 1726 - bench

The west and middle rooms of the meeting house were built in 1726 to support the growing local Quaker population. In 1801, the east room was added to accommodate quarterly meetings held by Quakers from the surrounding region. <map & directions>

 
Please consider making a donation to raise matching funds for replacement of the north roof.  Click here.


Philadelphia Inquirer - Bringing Back the Past in Chesco (Apr 8, 2013)
2012 Newsletter
Antislavery address by Caln Quarterly meeting, 1847.
Philadelphia Inquirer article: Civil War graves at Old Caln
Photographs and ephemera about the Meeting House



Click image for information on this print              

Removal of the south roof (2007)


New south roof (2007)

Care of the Meeting House requires that we periodically perform costly structural maintenance. We have been able to do so through generous individual contributions and grants. Fund-raising efforts for replacement of the cedar shake roof on the north side of the building is underway. In 2007 we replaced the south roof after successful fundraising (see photos at left and right). In 2011 we raised funds for structural remediation under the north roof. That work was completed in 2012. We’re now at a point where we can replace the cedar shingles on the north side which are very close to being at the end of their life. The cost of the project is approximately $40,000. Existing and additional new funds will be used to secure matching grants. Our goal is to be able to complete fundraising in 2013 and to replace the north roof in 2014. Please consider supporting the Meeting House through a tax-deductible contribution sent to Old Caln Meeting House; PO Box 96; Downingtown, PA 19335.

 
Your generous tax-deductible donations help protect and preserve Old Caln Meeting House:
Old Caln Meeting House
PO Box 96
Downingtown, PA 19335
Old Caln Contact: John Bryer; info @ oldcalnmeetinghouse.org; 484.686.3763  
Mailing Address: Old Caln Meeting House; PO Box 96; Downingtown, PA 19335  
Location Address: Caln Meetinghouse Rd & Kings Hwy; Coatesville, PA 19320  
Map: <map & directions>  
History:  The Old Caln Meeting House at Old Caln Meeting House Road & East Kings Highway is the oldest building in Caln Township. For three centuries this has been a place of worship for Quakers, or members of “The Religious Society of Friends of the Truth”.  Built in 1726, the east room was added in 1801 to accommodate quarterly meetings held by Quakers from the surrounding region. Today Old Caln Meeting House is maintained by a board of trustees, all of whom are Quakers, and the Old Caln Historical Society. <more history>
       Old Caln Meetinghouse 1726 - benches   

Information & Links


1801 Addition

Old Caln Meetinghouse - 1801 addition

 
Trustees
John Bryer, Chair Mose Cornwell Jeff Bryer  
Leah Martinez, Treasurer Adrian Martinez David Culp  

© 1726-2014 Old Caln Trustees       web @ oldcalnmeetinghouse.org